However, sometimes my supplies of fresh produce gets low and I don't feel like going out, so I also keep a good stock of dried fruit on hand during those times. It doesn't pack the same punch as fresh fruit, but last much longer, and can be added to oatmeal or salads for an extra dose of vitamins and nutrients.
Tuesday, January 16, 2007
Fruit
Sometimes grocery shopping is not always convenient with a 5 week old in tow. Instead of running to the base commissary several times a week for fresh produce, a trip which involves getting into the car and driving, I've been using the stroller to do more shopping at the local Japanese markets that are within easy walking distance. Prices are a bit more expensive, but the quality is excellent, and its easy to pick up a few apples or a head of lettuce on the way back from our morning walk. As a devotee of frugality its been tough to switch from a buy-in-bulk mentality to a more "European" way of shopping. However, its saved my back quite a bit (hauling 1 bag of groceries upstairs instead of 20) and led to a lot less waste because I buy only what I need (and I don't have to worry about planning a whole meal around about-to-be-rotten eggplants). It also saves gas money, ensures I get some exercise, and gets me out of the house and into the local community - always a good thing for a new mom.

However, sometimes my supplies of fresh produce gets low and I don't feel like going out, so I also keep a good stock of dried fruit on hand during those times. It doesn't pack the same punch as fresh fruit, but last much longer, and can be added to oatmeal or salads for an extra dose of vitamins and nutrients.
However, sometimes my supplies of fresh produce gets low and I don't feel like going out, so I also keep a good stock of dried fruit on hand during those times. It doesn't pack the same punch as fresh fruit, but last much longer, and can be added to oatmeal or salads for an extra dose of vitamins and nutrients.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment